Our adoption process includes a phone interview, home visit, and various reference checks. Our adoption fees are non-negotiable and are based on the age of the dog and if the dog was treated for heartworm disease. Please see adoption requirements below:
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must provide landlord or condo associations contact information to verify that you are allowed to have the pet you are applying for.
- Willing to complete the interview and home check process.
- All members of the household must be present during the home visit.
- Be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide medical treatment and proper care for your pet.
- K-9 Lifesavers will not place dogs on hold or take deposits.
- K-9 Lifesavers will not pay veterinary costs for dogs once they are adopted.
K-9 Lifesavers provides basic veterinarian care on all our dogs up to the time of adoption. This includes:
- Age appropriate shots
- Heartworm testing (if positive, heartworm treatment)
- Monthly heartworm prevention
- Monthly flea/tick prevention
- Treatment of all obvious ailments while in our care (i.e., kennel cough, mange, parvo)
We cannot guarantee the health of the dogs upon adoption. All adopted dogs should be taken to the vet within two weeks of adoption for a complete exam. Rescue animals are often exposed to a variety of diseases that may have a gestation period, in which we are unaware. K-9 Lifesavers takes extra precautions to ensure our dogs are healthy, such as holding puppies for a minimum of 10 days, to ensure they do not break with parvo. Once an animal is adopted the adopter is responsible for all medical expenses.
K-9 Lifesavers is committed to the dogs we rescue for their entire lifetime. If at any time you cannot keep your adopted pet, you must return the dog to K-9 Lifesavers. We will always take any dog we adopted out, back into our system, for whatever reason.